Blanket finished!

 I finished all the weaving on Friday, a week since I started making all these strips, and then thought a bit about what order they should be put together. I twisted the fringes while they were still separate, as there were a lot to get through and smaller lots seemed easier. Also, once the fringes are stabilised it's easier to handle the whole thing. 

With handling, I realised that the first two strips I'd woven were packed down a bit more than the later two, so the first ones went in the middle.


These are the fringes when just done, still looking a bit uneven and raw. 


This is what the seams look before finishing. I stitched them in mattress stitch using the same pale beige Corriedale/alpaca yarn that is most of the weft in the last two strips, making sure that each stitch on each side took in a loop of weft as well as the outermost warp thread, for security. 


These are the fringes after washing - amazing how they just even themselves out! 


I finished the blanket by machine washing in a 40°C woollen wash, then just hanging up to dry (it was raining outside). I may well give it another wash, just to bed it in a little, but I love how the fabric is now both weighty (because of the size of the piece) and light, because most of the yarns are woollen-spun and the fabric is still fairly open. It's much bigger than the blanket I made last summer, even though that one had five strips. Final size of this one is 1.4m wide and 2.10m long .





Comments