A shawl to protect from fairies...

...or to attract them?

So this is what happened to the Away wi' the Fairies yarn I spun and posted about back in April; I finally got around to weaving it up as intended, after I did that other blanket. 

As you can see, the tiny Ninasaurus (who is fully grown but remains a miniature yet ferocious black cat) took a keen interest in the warping of my rigid heddle. I didn't dare leave it unsupervised until it was safely wound on. 


I have a warping peg permanently clamped on a chair arm across the living room from where I move my cupboard/table on wheels when I'm warping. I seem to manage to get it in the same place each time, as all the strips I weave, with no measurement, seem to come out the same length. 

The first strip was warped up and woven off on Friday and Saturday. The second one was threaded and woven in a long Zoom chat on Saturday night – just under five hours! 

This is what the fabric looked like with the fringes trimmed and twisted and the centre seam stitched up, but not washed or pressed at all. The eye-wateringly bright colours have been greatly muted by the use of a fine grey wool yarn as warp; I bought a couple of cones of it from a friend on Ravelry a few years ago, when I still used Ravelry, and it's been extremely useful. I shall be sad to see it all used up. 


This is a close-up of the fabric and the centre seam before finishing. I just love stuffing a piece of fresh weaving in the washing machine (I have a very good wash cycle at 30 or 40℃) and seeing how it comes out. 


And this is it washed – softer, relaxed, and with the yarns relaxing into each other and the irregularity of my weft threads much improved. 


Hanging on my (very short) washing line in yesterday's sunshine.



It's 180cm long, nearly 70cm wide, and weighs 340g.

I do like how my door is looking at the moment, though it will be better soon as the flowers in the tubs and baskets start to look a bit more lively. 


Twisted fringes...


I got the last eight skeins of my sock yarn dyed up today. It's warm enough that it'll be dry enough to twist up and label tomorrow. Then it can go off to be sold, and I shall think about whether it's worth buying more. 






Comments