Leiden, the Textile Research Centre, Historic textiles...

A month after the event, some assorted photos of my visit to Leiden for the Knitting History Forum's event on the Texel Stocking, several trips to the Textile Research Centre, and a wander around Leiden.

There was a fascinating exhibition on socks at the Centre, tying in to the conference which was mainly about the Texel Silk Stocking project, which I got a good wander around on the Friday afternoon on our day of arrival. On the Monday afternoon (nearlyeverything in Leiden is closed on Monday) I spend several hours sewing labels on new arrivals for the collection, and gawping in wonder at the Leiden Hat and a tiny fragment of carbonised textile from Catal Huyuk.









I also spent the entirity of my Sunday in Leiden at the main museum there. Excellent collection of Egyptian stuff, a good cross section of European stuff, lots of Roman things (as you'd expect given Leiden's geographical position), and a really good timeline of the area from the Ice Age to early Modern. A special exhibition about prehistoric Cyprus too.






I was perhaps a little too tired to make the most of it. In October I'd had something on or been away for nearly every weekend, and it all got away from me somewhat. A November catching up with myself was rather necessary (and probably why this post didn't even get done until December).

I am currently in the throes of churning out a handful of hats with either carousel horses or unicorns on them - fun, but time-consuming. We were at a wonderful and touching gig in Halifax's Square Chapel last night, O'Hooley & Tidow, and this evening we're off to the very different Peatbog Fairies in Settle Victoria Hall. I'm knitting and spinning quietly this morning, enjoying the morning when I get the sun in our living room.

Comments