Masham Sheep Fair - a Grand Day Out!


Nothing like a day out with Mark and the boyz. Especially if it doesn't rain. I have a list of twelve things to complete this weekend, and I only did two of them yesterday. We were planning to go to Masham tomorrow, the Sunday, but the forecast is appalling. So we toddled off there today, and didn't get rained on.

We had lunch at the Kings Head.

This lot were very friendly - Suffolk rams and big enough not to be bothered by Arthur and Hector at all. I think that's my hand lower right. The lad in front had a very open face and was quite happy to accept scritches on his head.

Mules, I think. Very nice wool.

And Blackfaces of some form, very smart in their yellow showing dye.

Today was the main day for commercial showing, so the all the main breeds were here - BFLs, Wensleydales, Mules, Down breeds, lots of Texels. Rare breeds tomorrow, so sadly we'll miss them this year. Mind you, if the cycling even hadn't caused the Sheep Fair to be knocked back a week, we'd have missed the whole lot anyway, as it usually coincides with Yarndale.

I had an early dive into the fleece tent, as there had been too many people walking back down to cars, as we were walking up, clutching more than one fleece under their arms. I succumbed to a small BFL (lots of ringlets, it will be lovely dyed up and in little bags), and a Kerry Hill (I bought one from the same seller last year, and was really pleased with it. It may even be the same sheep). 

I was a bit extravagant and also bought a sheepskin from one of the stands in the square. I haven't got one in at the moment, and I wanted one for my chair in the sitting room. They're also extremely useful camping, or anywhere where you're going to be sitting outside. This one's a fabulous limestone-grey Herdwick, so nice and bouncy too. 

More slippers have been felted and will be need to be documented. Back to the weekend's list, I think. 

Comments