The imminence of Woolfest

Dyed yarns 2

Am quietly going crackers here, trying to get everything finished before Woolfest, and bearing in mind that Fibre East is only three weeks after that. The photo above is the thirty skeins of bfl/nylon sockyarn I dyed on Saturday (that's the stuff that's all twisted up) and the skeins hanging are another thirty I did yesterday afternoon and late into the night of Falkland/bamboo sock yarn, in another range of colours.

Dyed yarns 1

There's the last little bit of fibre that hasn't been stuffed in a bag yet hanging on the left, and the bright red stuff in the middle isn't my dyeing; it's a sweater than Ma started and then realised that her carpal tunnel syndrome wouldn't let her finish.  It smelt revoltingly smokey and I wasn't very happy with the proportions (EZ's Icelandic overshirt) so I pulled it back and washed the yarn, and am now thinking of what to do with it.

Apart from vast amounts of dyeing, I've been buzzing away on little projects, like this lovely Nancy Bush sock pattern from some extravagant naturally-dyed alpaca sock yarn I bought from The Mulberry Dyer at Wonderwool.
Jubilee socks detail

I had great intentions of spinning and knitting the Manx fleece into a garment for Woolfest; barely half is spun, and none plied. But at least I know what I'm doing with it.

It's been wet and cold for a couple of weeks here, with floods in various parts of the country. Apparently the jet stream is much further south than normal for the time of year, so the clouds that should be speeding out of the west and flying north of Scotland are instead dumping all their rain over England.  We're just praying it will be dry - not even warm, just dry - for Woolfest.  In a week and a half - eek!!!!

Comments