Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Monday 23rd's dyeing




I bought a fleece at last year's Wonderwool that, apart from being washed and a small sample spun, hasn't been touched. It's a Corriedale ewe's fleece, in creams and beiges and pale browns.






Some got stuffed in the dyepots last night - some with greens and golds and some with reds and blues.









More alpaca - this time in Plum.










And this lot's in Sailor, which I'm really pleased with - I love the ever-so-slightly greenish tint to this blue blend which tips it over in the the maritime.









I took the photos this morning, about 6am in front of the window - the sun wasn't up because we're too low down in the valley, but there was strong light coming through and combined with the flash I got a pretty accurate rendition of the Flora alpaca.








And again, I rephotographed the Mirkwood - this is a much better likeness. I have now run out of the bouncy, shorter-stapled fine wool that most of the last week or so's dyeing has consisted of.






I rang the chap I buy bulk fibre from last night; he has some bumps of a 19-micron merino in and is sending me a sample. If this is as nice as it sounds, I shall have to invest. In the meantime, I have a pile of superwash merino to weigh out and start dyeing, and the 2 kilos of coloured BFL I got from Adelaide Walker's last week.

I may not dye this afternoon, as I have an appointment with some needles and have no idea how sorry for myself I shall be feeling afterwards. And, as ever, the pupz need a big chunk of my afternoon for their constitutional - at least the lovely springlike weather means pupz remain dry and unmuddy and fibre dries quickly.

3 comments:

  1. oooh would this be the kind of needlework that is permanent? Great dyeing as usual, don't know how you squeeze it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I squeeze either! And yes, permanent. See other blog.

    ReplyDelete